One of the most important parts of collecting sports cards is to protect them properly. No matter what level of collector you are it is important to take care of your collection. Here are a few tips to take card of your cards.
- Purchase essential supplies – this includes cardboard storage boxes for sets and commons, and soft-sleeves and top loaders or snap-tights/one-touch holders for singles.
- Never try to “jamâ€ a card into a top loader or case. If you are dealing with a thicker card get the proper supplies for it. The supply companies do a great job matching their products with all different card types and sizes, take advantage of that.
- Store your cards in a cool, dry place. This will help prevent the negative effects of humidity and temperature extremes which can be especially damaging to your collection.
- Even after cards are put into top loaders or one touch cases don’t just stack them in any old box. Supply companies make boxes that fit all types of cases, even graded cards.
- If you have a set that is just short of filling a box, make sure to use foam box filler pads to keep your cards upright and tight, preventing them from sliding around.
- If you want to be able to easily view and show off certain cards use high quality pocket pages and a binder or display book. Consider looking into pages that hold actual cases in them for maximum protection.
If you have any other tips or suggestions for storing your cards please post them in the comment section and they can be added to the list.